|Schedule - Problem Sets - Exams - Lectures - Links|
This document explains how to set up the CS201J tools on your home PC. Keep in mind that it will take some time to install the required software on your home PC, and your time is probably better spent working on the actual assignments. We believe it is generally in your best interests to work in the public labs, but in some cases you may find it more convenient to work from home. These instructions should work for typical Windows PCs, however, we will not be able to provide detailed help on setting up the CS201J tools if you run into problems. Please follow the directions carefully. Since some pathnames are hardcoded into ESC/Java and the Eclipse plugin, you must use the file locations given here (or figure out how to modify the files yourself if you can't).
Installing CS201J Software
JavaDownload the Java SDK from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html.
Click on "Download" under "J2SE SDK" on the "Windows Installation" line (the rightmost link on the top line of the second table).
Following the installation wizard and install the SDK in C:\j2sdk1.4.2\.
EclipseDownload Eclipse from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php [Direct Link to Windows Binary]
- Visit http://crl-download.crl.hpl.hp.com/downloads/register.cgi?download=Compaq+ESC+for+Java/ and fill in the form to receive a download page for ESC/Java. In a few minutes, you should receive an email with a customized download link.
- Open the link and download escjava-1.2.4-win.exe. (Be careful, there will be several other choices, and the older versions appear earlier on the page.)
- Unzip the files into C:\Program Files\escjava.
- From the customized download page, download escjava-specs-1.2.4-win.exe. Extract the files to C:\Program Files\escjava.
- Download http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs201j/software/rt.jar (the Java 1.3.1 run time) and save it in C:\Program Files\escjava\lib.
- Download http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs201j/software/escjava.bat and save it as C:\Program Files\escjava\bin\escjava.bat (replacing the file that is already there).
If you followed the directions for file locations, you will not have to edit escjava.bat. If you put files in different locations:
- At the top of the file the variable ESCJAVA_ROOT should point to the directory/folder that you installed ESC/Java in. (i.e., root)
- JAVA should point to your Java interpreter of your Java run-time installation. (We will call this JDKroot.)
- JAVA_STDLIB should point to the standard library (rt.jar), which you should have placed in the lib folder of ESC/Java.
- Download the Eclipse Plugin: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs201j/software/escplugin.zip. Extract in in Eclipse/plugins directory (C:\Program Files\Eclipse\plugins if you installed Eclipse in C:\Program Files\Eclipse). After extracting the zip file, you should see a edu.virginia.cs.escjava_0.1.0 directory.
- Restart Eclipse. Click on Window | Preferences inside Eclipse, click on the ESC/Java option on the left, and set the ESC/Java Executable Location to C:\Program Files\escjava\bin\escjava.bat.
University of Virginia
Department of Computer Science
CS 201J: Engineering Software
Sponsored by the
National Science Foundation