- Congratulations to Philip Asare and Jiayuan Meng for being selected to participate in the 1st Heidelberg Laureate Forum, to be held from September 22 to 27 in Heidelberg, Germany.
- Awards Ceremony was held on Wednesday, May 8 in Rice 120. Congratulations to all of the award recipients!
- Congratulations to Philip Asare (CpE) for being named a 2013 - 2014 Google Lime Connect Scholar!
- Congratulations to Vijay Srinivasan, John Stankovic, and Kamin Whitehouse for their paper "FixtureFinder: Discovering the Existence of Electrical and Water Fixtures," which has been selected as Best Paper Runner Up for IPSN 2013. To Appear in The 12th ACM/IEEE Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN'13). April 8-11, 2013, Philadelphia, PA. (PPT)
- UVa Hosts Third Annual High School Programming Contest
- Anh Nguyen-Tuong, Jason Hiser and Jack Davidson received a $40,000 grant from the Virginia Innovation Partnership to make the web a safer place. Congratulations! You can read more about the Virginia Innovation Partnership and other recipients of this grant in this UVA Today article
- Congratulations to Charles Eckman who was selected by the UVA CS department's review committee as the recipient of the first Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) Scholarship
- Prof. Alf Weaver interviews Annie Anton, chair of the School of Interactive Computing at Georgia Tech, about the importance of gender diversity in computing.
- Congratulations to Prof. Jack Stankovic for giving a keynote talk at Sensornets 2013 in Barcelona, Spain
- Computer Scientist Anita Jones Receives Philip Hauge Abelson Award from AAAS
- Tech Talk sponsored by Intentional Software: Magnus Christerson, Executive Vice President, "Intentional Software." Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 6:30 pm, Rice Hall, Room 120
- For the fourth time in five years, a team from the University of Virginia has advanced to the world finals in the International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC)
- Congratulations to Mary Lou Soffa, Kevin Skadron, and Sang Son for their elevations to IEEE Fellow
- Congratulations to UVA Computer Science Professor John Knight on the publication of his book, "Fundamentals of Dependable Computing for Software Engineering," by CRC Press.
- Mary Lou Soffa wins the prestigious Ken Kennedy Award
- UVA Computer Science researchers led by Shahriar Nirjon created a new exercise music app that listens to your heart to rev it up. See article in the Cavalier Daily and in New Scientist
- Special Guest Speaker: Charles Zhang on Mon., October 22nd at 11:00 AM in Olsson 120
- Top Gun Speaker Series: Hillery Hunter on Wed., October 24th at 2:00 PM in Rice 130
- Engineering Professor Soffa Re-Elected to ACM Council
- Anita Jones to Give Keynote Address at Grace Hopper Celebration
- The Computer Science Department is getting a new Chair. Kevin Skadron will be taking over as Chair starting August 25th as Mary Lou Soffa steps down after 8 years. Congratulations Kevin!
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon and Prof. Jack Stankovic for receiving the Best Paper award at RTAS '12 for their paper: Shahriar Nirjon, Angela Nicoara, Cheng-Hsin Hsu, Jatinder Singh, and John Stankovic, "MultiNets: Policy Oriented Real-Time Switching of Wireless Interfaces on Mobile Devices."
- Prof. Jack Stankovic (Computer Science), John Lach (Electrical and Computer Engineering) and Prof. Karen Rose (School of Nursing) were awarded a new grant from the NIH to research to link between Alzheimer's and incontinence
- Congratulations to Hamid Bagheri and Kevin Sullivan. They received a Distinguished Paper award 2nd place), for the paper, "SpaceMaker: Practical Formal Synthesis of Tradeoff Spaces for Object-Relational Mapping," at the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering.
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon and Jack Stankovic for their article on NewsScientist.com
- Congratulations to Peter Chapman who was just awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship, a most prestigious honor
- Congratulations to Chris Gregg who just won the 2011-2012 All-University Graduate Teaching Assistant Award in Math, Science and Engineering. This Award carries an honorarium of $1,000 and will be presented at the Annual Awards Ceremony "In Celebration of Teaching." Competition for this award was very intense this year. Chris also won the Department's Outstanding GTA Award, which carries a $250.00 prize.
- Visiting Brazilian Student Catching On to U.Va. Life
- UVA Today, Jan. 31, 2012
- Congratulations to Claire Le Goues and Wesley Weimer whose paper was selected for TSE's featured article for the January/Feb issue.
Claire Le Goues, ThanhVu Nguyen, Stephanie Forrest, Westley Weimer:
GenProg: A Generic Method for Automated Software Repair.
IEEE Trans. Software Engineering 38(1): 54-72 (January/February 2012)
- George Necula, Scott McPeak and Westley Weimer have won the POPL Most Influential paper for 2012 for their paper "CCured: type-safe retrofitting of legacy code."
- Congratulations to Jason Mars, Lingjia Tang, Kevin Skadron and Mary Lou Soffa. Their paper "Increasing Utilization in Modern Warehouse Scale Computers via Sensible Co-locations" was selected as a Micro Top Picks for 2012. There were 77 papers submitted from the best architecture conferences in 2012 and 12 were selected.
- Rice Hall Information Technology Engineering Building Dedication, Friday, November 18, 2011
- Mary Lou Soffa Receives Anita Borg Technical Leadership Award
- Jack Stankovic was invited to serve as a member of the National Academies' Computer Science and Telecommunications Board
- "Software Smoke and Mirrors" by, Jack Davidson
- IMPACT Magazine, Fall 2011, Volume 13, No. 1
- U.Va. Team Awarded $3 Million NSF Secure Computation Grant
- UVA Today, October 13, 2011
- CS Fall 2011 Newsletter
- Newsweek ranks U.Va. among best colleges - The University placed 17th on the list of Computer Geeks
- Cavalier Daily, September 5, 2011
- Grant to Bring Advanced Cyber infrastructure, Digital Services to U.Va., Other Institutions
- UVA Today, August 25, 2011
- Kevin Skadron Wins Award for Computer Architecture Research
- UVA Today, August 11, 2011
- Rice Hall Opens This Fall; Will Be State-of-the-Art Space for IT Engineering
- UVA Today, August 8, 2011
- William Wulf Honored With National Diversity Award
- UVA Today, April 5, 2011
- The Science of Internet Privacy
- Cavalier Daily, March 16, 2011
- Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering Helps Make Students and Faculty 'Research-Ready' (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 6, 2011 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Look to Biological Evolution to Strengthen Computer Software (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 4, 2011 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Join $13 Million Project to Secure Software of Unknown Origins (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, November 23, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va.'s Applied Research Institute Developing More Robust Communications Platform for First Responders (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, November 12, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Professor Emerita Anita Jones Wins NAE's 2010 Arthur M. Bueche Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, October 12, 2010 (Original Article)
- Jack Stankovic awarded 2010 Distinguished Faculty Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA SEAS website, October 1, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Researchers Land $2 Million NSF Grant to Design 'Smart Building' Energy Systems (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, September 23, 2010 (Original Article)
- Kim Hazelwood one of top young innovators (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- Computer Science Legend Anita Jones Retires from the Engineering School (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- abhi shelat named Microsoft Research Fellow (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, July 12, 2010 (Original Article)
- Jason Mars receives Google Fellowship (Mary L Soffa)
UVA Today, June 28, 2010 (Original Article)
- Seven Young Faculty Innovators Selected for U.Va.'s FEST Awards (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, June 15, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Professor Receives $1 Million Google Research Award to Study Energy Efficiency in Data Centers (Sudhanva Gurumurthi)
UVA Today, February 10, 2010 (Original Article)
- Sudhanva Gurumurthi recives $1M Google Research Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, February 10, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Department Celebrates 25th Anniversary with 'Father of the Internet' (Mary L Soffa)
UVA Today, February 1, 2010 (Original Article)
- Internet's dad: Responsibility a big part of computer science (Anita K Jones)
Daily Progress, January 30, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Students Return to World Finals for Programming in China (Aaron Bloomfield)
SEAS, January 27, 2010 (Original Article)
- UVA Researchers Attack the Web (Jack W Davidson, Jason Hiser)
NBC29, January 21, 2010 (Original Article)
- U.Va. Computer Science Professor Advances Research with an NSF Career Award (Kamin Whitehouse)
UVA Today, January 5, 2010 (Original Article)
- 2010 Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award Winners (David S. Noble, Jr., Ethan Fast, Rachel Lathbury)
Computing Research Association, January 1, 2010 (Original Article)