U.Va. Professor Emerita Anita Jones Wins NAE's 2010 Arthur M. Bueche Award
As appeared in UVA Today, October 12, 2010
By Zak Richards
Anita K. Jones, a University of Virginia professor emerita, received the 2010 Arthur M. Bueche Award from the National Academy of Engineering on Oct. 3. Jones received the award for "leadership in the development of U.S. science and technology policy and the development of technologies for national security, including technical contributions to high-performance computing and cybersecurity."
Established in 1982, the Arthur M. Bueche Award honors an engineer who has shown dedication in science and technology, as well as active involvement in determining U.S. science and technology policy, promoting technological development and contributing to the enhancement of the relationship among industries, government and universities.
As part of the award, Jones received $2,500 and a gold medallion.
Jones has served in volunteer and appointed roles for a number of entities, many of which have important policy responsibilities. She was director of the Defense Department's Defense Research and Engineering from 1993 to1997; in this role, she was the key player in the development and protection of the science and technology budget for the Pentagon, successfully growing R&D programs at a time when the department's overall budget was being reduced.
She was a member of the National Science Board from 1999 to 2004 and served as its vice chair for two years; was a member of the Air Force Scientific Advisory Board from 1979 to 1984; served on the Defense Science Board numerous times; and was a member of the advisory council for the Policy and Global Affairs Division at the National Research Council from 1997 to 2006. In addition, she served on committees that authored two influential Research Council reports: "Rising Above the Gathering Storm: Energizing and Employing America for a Brighter Economic Future" and "Polar Icebreakers in a Changing World: An Assessment of U.S. Needs."
Jones was awarded the IEEE Founders Medal in 2007 and the Ada Lovelace Award from the Association of Women in Computing in 2004. In 2000, she was named a fellow of both the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and in 2010 she was elected a member of the American Philosophical Society.
More news about Mary L Soffa
- Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering Helps Make Students and Faculty 'Research-Ready' (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 6, 2011 (Local Copy)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Look to Biological Evolution to Strengthen Computer Software (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, January 4, 2011 (Local Copy)
- U.Va. Computer Scientists Join $13 Million Project to Secure Software of Unknown Origins (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, November 23, 2010 (Local Copy)
- U.Va.'s Applied Research Institute Developing More Robust Communications Platform for First Responders (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, November 12, 2010 (Local Copy)
- U.Va. Professor Emerita Anita Jones Wins NAE's 2010 Arthur M. Bueche Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, October 12, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Jack Stankovic awarded 2010 Distinguished Faculty Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA SEAS website, October 1, 2010 (Local Copy)
- U.Va. Researchers Land $2 Million NSF Grant to Design 'Smart Building' Energy Systems (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, September 23, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Kim Hazelwood one of top young innovators (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Computer Science Legend Anita Jones Retires from the Engineering School (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, August 30, 2010 (Local Copy)
- abhi shelat named Microsoft Research Fellow (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, July 12, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Jason Mars receives Google Fellowship (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, June 28, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Seven Young Faculty Innovators Selected for U.Va.'s FEST Awards (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, June 15, 2010 (Local Copy)
- Sudhanva Gurumurthi recives $1M Google Research Award (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, February 10, 2010 (Local Copy)
- U.Va. Computer Science Department Celebrates 25th Anniversary with 'Father of the Internet' (Mary L Soffa)
- UVA Today, February 1, 2010 (Local Copy)