Emeritus Professor of Computer Science
"Aphorisms, by their very nature, fill a much needed void."
Areas Of Interest
Modeling and simulation technology, parallel and distributed systems, computing for the blind.
Paul Reynolds received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science at the University of Texas, Austin in 1979. He joined the University of Virginia in 1980 as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and was promoted to Associate Professor in 1986 and to full Professor in 1998. He has directed twelve Ph.D. theses with another four in progress. He is an area editor for ACM Transactions on Modeling and Simulation, and the author or co-author of over 50 refereed publications.
Reynolds' research aims to make asynchronous computing practical and efficient. Asynchronous processors operating in a common environment are a critical part of the future of computing. Isotach networks were pioneered by Reynolds as a promising approach for managing the relative sequencing of events in an asynchronous environment. In the world of modeling and simulation, the most significant challenge is multi-resolution modeling (MRM), the joining of simulations of overlapping phenomena. Paul Reynolds has published on challenges and possibilities for MRM, and currently he is investigating the application of technology employed in the graphics animation community -- space-time constraints -- as a method for successful MRM. He has contributed to both the theory and practice of parallel and distributed computing, and modeling and simulation, and he has won a best paper award for his insights into the challenges in distributed simulation. Currently he spearheads the MaSTRi Modeling and Simulation effort at UVa. He also founded "Nancy's Pantry" which develops technology that enables the blind to be more self-sufficient and lead normal lives.
- Using Space-Time Constraints to Guide Model Interoperability, Paul Reynolds, Proceedings of Simulation Interoperability Workshop, Orlando, Florida, April 2002.
- Delta Coherence Protocols, Craig Williams, Paul Reynolds, and Bronis de Supinski, IEEE Concurrency, July-September, 2000, pp. 23-29.
- Elastic Time, Sudhir Srinivasan and Paul Reynolds, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, Volume 8, Number 2, April 1998, pp. 103-139.
- Consistency Maintenance in Multi-Resolution Simulations, Paul Reynolds, Sudhir Srinivasan, and Anand Natrajan, ACM Trans on Modeling and Computer Simulation, Volume 7, Number 3, July 1997, pp. 368-392.
- Isotach Networks, Paul Reynolds, Craig Williams, and Raymond Wagner, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume 8, Number 4, April 1997, pp. 337-347.