Associate Professor and Endowed Faculty Fellow of Computer Science
Areas Of Interest
Software systems engineering: ultra-large-scale (ULS) systems, software architecture, modularity in design, software evolution, software economics.
Kevin Sullivan received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington in 1994. He joined the University of Virginia as Assistant Professor of Computer Science. He received an NSF Career Award in 1995, the (first) ACM Computer Science Professor of the Year Award from undergraduate students in 1998, a University Teaching Fellowship in 1999, the Harold Morton Jr. Teaching Prize in 2000, and a Virginia Engineering Foundation Endowed Faculty Fellowship in 2003. He is currently Associate Professor.
Sullivan's research is in software-intensive systems in general and in software engineering in particular.
- Modular Software Design With Crosscutting Interfaces, Griswold, W.G., K. Sullivan, Y. Song, M. Shonle, N. Tewari, Y. Cai and H. Rajan, IEEE Software, Special Issue on Aspect-Oriented Programming, January/February, Volume 23, Number 1, 2006, pp. 51-60.
- Information Hiding Interfaces for Aspect-Oriented Software Design, Sullivan, K., W. G. Griswold, Y. Song, Y. Cai, M. Shonle, H. Rajan and N. Tewari, European Software Engineering Conference, held jointly with ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE), Lisbon, Portugal, 2005, pp. 166-175.
- The Structure and Value of Modularity in Software Design, Sullivan, K. W.G., Griswold, Y. Cai, and B. Hallen, European Software Engineering Conference, held jointly with ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE), Vienna, Austria, 2001, pp. 99-108.
- Software Economics: A Roadmap, B. W. Boehm and K. Sullivan, Conference on The Future of Software Engineering, at the International Conference on Software Engineering, Limerick, Ireland, June 2000, pp 319-343.
- Software Design as an Investment Activity: A Real Options Perspective, Sullivan, K.J., P. Chalasani, S. Jha, and V. Sazawal, in Real Options and Business Strategy: Applications to Decision Making, L. Trigeorgis, Editor, Risk Books, December, 1999.