Professor & Associate Chair of Computer Science
Associate Director, Applied Research Institute
Department of Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Virginia
85 Engineer's Way, P.O. Box 400740
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4740
Areas Of Interest
Computer networks, network protocols, telemedicine, electronic commerce, medical data privacy and security, crowdsourcing
Alf Weaver received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Illinois in 1976. He joined the University of Virginia in 1977 and is now Associate Director of UVa’s Applied Research Institute where he is working with projects related to national security. He was an ACM National Lecturer, gave keynote addresses at several leading conferences, held the Lucian Carr III endowed chair, and is a Fellow of the IEEE. He has supervised over 130 funded research projects, advised 68 PhD and master’s students, and co-authored two books, 14 book chapters, and 170 refereed journal and conference publications.
Weaver and colleagues developed the Xpress Transport Protocol (supporting multicast and knowledge of the multicast group members) for the US Navy, and then turned XTP into a commercial product. He was a Founding Director of Virginia’s Internet Technology Innovation Center, which provided technical and business strategy for e-business, and developed e-commerce software for corporate and government clients. Other projects include improving security for mobile devices, evaluating relational keyword search techniques, and writing software that can perform a scientometric analysis of scientific literature. His current research focuses on determining whether the use of crowdsourcing would be an effective adjunct for disaster management.
- Liliya I. Besaleva and Alfred C. Weaver, "Crowdsourcing for Emergency Response," Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering, Las Vega, NV, July 25-28, 2016.
- Liliya I. Besaleva and Alfred C. Weaver, "Applications of Social Networks and Crowdsourcing for Disaster Management Improvement," IEEE Computer, May 2016.
- Liliya I. Besaleva and Alfred C. Weaver, "Crowdsourcing for Emergency Response," Academy of Science and Engineering 8th International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom'15), Stanford University, Stanford, CA, August 18-20, 2015.
- Liliya I Besaleva and Alfred C. Weaver, "Social Networks to the Rescue! The Power of Crowdsourced Data in Emergency Response," International Conference on Health Informatics and Medical Systems," Las Vegas, NV, July 27-30, 2015.
- Joel Coffman and Alfred C. Weaver, "An Empirical Performance Evaluation of Relational Keyword Search Techniques," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 26, issue 1, January 2014, pp. 30-42.
- Deborah Johnson, Priscilla Regan, Katherine Wesson, Siva Vaidhyanathan, Kent Wayland, Roberto Armongol, and Alfred C. Weaver, House of Mirrors: Surveillance and Transparency, Routledge Studies in Science, Technology and Society, 2014.