qgbox on HP9000/755 ?

From: Daryl Morse (morse@mprgate.mpr.ca)
Date: Fri May 07 1993 - 10:35:15 CDT

   Newsgroups: comp.benchmarks
   From: mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin)
   Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 16:53:08 GMT

> I am trying to update the results table for a benchmark code of
> mine (qgbox) and do not have access to one of the newer HP9000/7xx
> machines, like the 735/755 models.

> It hardly seems fair for me to be quoting IBM RS/6000-580 and
> DEC 3000/500 results against the older HP 9000/730's.

Actually, if you really want to make it fair, you should try to get
numbers for DEC's 3000/500X, which is significantly faster than the
3000/500. If not the undiscounted price of the machine the tests were
run on, providing an indication of which machines are expensive
high-end server class machines, which are desktop, etc., would make
your numbers all the more interesting. Comparing servers against
servers and workstations against workstations is the most fair way to
go.

I point this out, because my suspicions tell me that the IBM RS6000 up
near the top of the heap is a very pricey server. (If I am wrong about
that, please disregard my suspicion.)

Please don't take my comments personally. The numbers are definitely
of interest.

Thanks.

Daryl Morse | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. | Fax : (604) 293-5787