Aloo gobi (potato cauliflower) is pretty standard North Indian fare. As
long as you cook the potatoes well enough, you can hardly go wrong with
- Dice the potatoes and chop the caulifower into florets. Frozen chopped
cauliflower works too.
- Heat oil. Use slightly more oil since the potatoes absorb while
cooking. When the oil is hot, pop the mustard seeds and brown the jeera.
Add the green chillies and lightly saute.
- Add the potatoes and saute. After a little while, add the cauliflower.
Eventually, the potatoes should be done, but the cauliflower can be as raw
as you like.
- Add salt, haldi and garam masala or curry powder. Feel free to
experiment with a little cinnamon, some black pepper, coriander powder,
red chilli powder for spice, or garlic and ginger.
- Mix up everything. Add peas. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15
minutes. If not using frozen vegetables, add a little water. Stir a few
times and continue cooking till potatoes are done and cauliflower is as
soft as desired.
- Garnish with lemon juice or