Next: Red Chillies
Up: Spices and Condiments
- Indian Name
- Ginger is a must for cooking Indian-style. Ginger can be used
in main courses. In fact, it is possible to make entire dishes with merely
lots of ginger, salt and some very rudimentary spices. Ginger is used
frequently in non-Indian desserts, such as pies. Ginger tea is very
- There is no typical quantity to use when it comes to ginger.
Raw ginger is much stronger in flavour than ginger heated in oil. Use about
a finger of ginger in a two-person main course. Excess ginger in any dish
is rarely a problem.
- Fresh ginger is much more preferable to powdered ginger.
Skin the ginger and pound it into a paste with a dash of salt. The
paste may be added directly to oil or later to the vegetables or meat for
more flavour. For slightly reduced flavour, chop ginger into tiny pieces.
- Sometimes, ginger is used unskinned. If doing so, ensure
that the skin does not have any fungus on it.
- Ginger powder
- Ginger-flavoured beers have been around for some time.
Ginger keeps for quite a while, so it is perfectly all right to buy twice
as much more than planned for a dish.
Thu Dec 19 15:13:35 EST 1996