Up: Spices and Condiments
Previous: Red Chillies
- Indian Name
- Turmeric is used as a colouring agent as well as for flavour.
Almost all Indian dishes contain at least a dash of turmeric.
- For a two-person dish, use a teaspoonful of turmeric.
- Add directly to vegetables or meat or add to hot oil
just before adding vegetables or meat.
- Excessive turmeric can override other flavours. It may also
itch the throat. Turmeric stains utensils and clothes badly.
- Curry powder. Curry powder can cause the same kind of
colouring but will add entirely new flavours to the food.
- Turmeric is a very healthy spice. A dash of turmeric
in hot buttered milk is very soothing for sore throats.
Thu Dec 19 15:13:35 EST 1996