Up: Spices and Condiments
Previous: Spices and Condiments
- Indian Name
- Cardamom is a very versatile spice that can be used in
beverages, desserts and main courses. Cardamom is a much-neglected spice.
Stronger flavoured than cloves, it can be used in desserts and main course,
just as clove is. Flans, rice puddings, porridges, etc. taste much better
with a dash of cardamom. Add whole cardamoms to flavour tea drunk with milk.
- Typically, for a two-person dish, use a teaspoon of cardamom.
- If using only seeds, use freshly ground, either before or
after mild heating in oil. If using seeds in desserts, grind finely. If
using whole either in beverages or main dishes, ensure the pod cracks a bit.
- If heating in oil, let the seeds swell a bit. Try not to
surprise guests with whole cardamoms in the dish.
- Cardamom powder or cloves. Of course, cloves taste
- Cardamom is used as a breath-freshener, but it is
said that excessive use thins the blood.
Thu Dec 19 15:13:35 EST 1996