Up: Spices and Condiments
- Indian Name
- Cumene is used in most Indian dishes, and hence is characteristic.
- Typically, for a two-person dish, use 2 teaspoons of cumene.
- Browned in hot oil, or freshly ground, either
before or after mild browning in oil.
- If browning in oil, do not blacken. If blackened,
discard and start over.
- Cumene powder
- If browned in oil, cumene seeds are almost always
used with black mustard seeds. The mustard seeds take londer to pop,
so add them slightly before the cumene seeds. Cumene seeds boiled in
lightly-salted water relieve gas troubles very quickly.
Thu Dec 19 15:13:35 EST 1996