Outside of work, most of my time is taken up by my three kids: Anika, Mariella, and Soren. My other interests include European style board games, martial arts (Okinawan karate and Japanese sword), running, making wine, gardening, and doing just about anything outdoors.
In my free time, I like to create useful web pages. Here are a few...
I'll fill this list in as I think of more things. It's rather short now -- perhaps this means I'm boring?
- I have three children (two girls and a boy), and my wife and I do not like common names, so we selected Anika, Mariella, and Soren. Their middle names all (intentionally) rhyme.
- All of my computers (and routers, and anything else that needs a hostname) are named after constellations: libra (the scales of balance) is my grading server, gemini (the twins) was my first dual-monitor system, etc.
- I don't like tying my shoes. I have no idea why. All the shoes I own either don't have laces (sandals, slip-ons, loafers, etc.) or are ones that I tie once when I buy them, and then always pull them on and off.
- I've ran four marathons: Philadelphia Marathon three times (2000, 2006, 2007), and the New Jersey Shore Marathon once (2001). Now that I have three kids, I don't have time to run anymore, but I would like to start it up again sometime soon...
- I have a second degree black belt in Ryukyu Kempo (aka karate), and another second degree black belt in Kenjutsu.
- I used to ride on ambulance corps: SBVAC and PJVAC, although all my certifications expired many years ago.
- Many of my students and teaching assistants make fun of me for the fact that a typical email response from me is around 2 a.m.
- I've been active in the non-profit community in Charlottesville by being on the board of directors for Madison House for 5 years and starting the Service Learning Practicum.
- Even though I teach the course on computer video games here at UVa, I do not play video games -- I gave them up in graduate school (2004).