For the week starting 1 September 2004
- The software that we will be using in lecture and laboratories to
create Java programs is freely available on the WWW. You might find
having this software on your own computer convenient for our
programming assignments. If you are going to go this route, you need to
acquire and install the following software:
- Download a copy of the SDK -- Sun Software Development
Kit -- J2SE v1.4.2 to your home directory.
- If you are using a computer on the UVA network, a free
copy of the software is available from
- If you are not a computer using the UVA network, then a
copy is a free copy is available from Sun at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html.
That page provides a variety of download options. All you will need is
J2SE v.1.4.2_05 SDK.
- Download a copy of JCreator LE to your lab PC. A free
copy of the software is available from here.
- When you get
back to your own computer, install the SDK first and then JCreator.
All copies of your homework and lab solutions are to be kept on your
home directory. The copy must be placed there before it is due. The
copy should not be altered after it has been submitted. The copies
should be kept there all semester!
A regrade is only possible if there is a correctly dated file in
your Home Directory!
During lab and for homework you will often be asked to submit files.
Although the process is similar, we have different submission
programs for labs and for homework. You MUST use the proper submission
program for each particular task.
- To test the submission process, first please download the files one.data, two.data, and three.data.
- The submission process requires that you know your official
university email id and CS 101 submission password. The initial
password is the last four digits of your University ID. If you change
the password, it is your responsibility to remember the new password.
- Submit the files one at a time using the lab submitter.
You should see that the lab submitter will allow you to submit any file.
- Submit the same files one at a time using the homework submitter.
- You should see that the homework submitter will allow you to
submit a particular file. The name of the file will change for the
- You should also see that a successful homework submission
tells you the size of the file -- which should never be zero -- and
tells you to print a copy of the page. That printed copy of the page is
proof of your successful submission. In the advent of a system
malfunction and with that printed copy and the copy of the submission
on your home directory we can handle the problem.
At home installation directions
- To install the SDK double click on the file name sdk.exe
using a file browser. We strongly suggest that you perform the default
- The JCreator installation is a two-step process. The first step
is to double click on the file name jcreate.exe using a file
browser. The second step is to run the setup program that is