Our words reveal us — Make yours those to bind us all — As one people
We are UVA
- Our University is built on the richness of our differences and recogizes that everyone is created equal and entitled to equal rights, dignity, and respect. We must repudiate all that violate these principles through hate and violence.
- Course personnel are deeply committed to our university principles, and seek to make our class welcoming and safe to all.
- It is an exciting time to be in computing. Class personnel look forward to introducing you to it so that you can help make the world a better place.
To do List
- Read this entire page!
- Consider watching the movie What about Bob? My pedagogical strategy for the course is based on the movie.
- For homework 2 bring a paper airplane to the first class. Your paper airplane should have your name on it-. If you don't know what that is, or don't recall how to do it, look it up
Right now, yes right at this very moment
- There are two things that must be acomplished by Tuesday, August 22. People who do not are subject to be dropped from the course.
- Fill out the CS 1112 class pledge. If you are wondering why it must be done by Tuesday August 22 – I hand out tent-cards the first day of the class. I get the info for the cards from the pledge. My goal is to learn your names, the cards will assist me.
- For homework 1 write a haiku about your class expectations or concerns. A haiku is a three-line poem. For example, the following three lines are composed respectively of five, seven, and five syllables.
Haikus have three lines
Five, seven, five syllables
As their iambics
The poem must be "handed-in" using the class upload mechanism. If you are wondering why it must be done by Tuesday August 22 – I create a web document of the haikus for discussion on the first day of class. It also ensures that you are able to use the class submission system. Submissions that are not haikus will receive minimal credit.
You ought to be in pictures
- Please upload a photo of yourself suitable for sharing with the class. Mine is visible here. We will use the photo in conjuction with some of the software artifacts we will create this semester.
- To improve your life overall and your studenthood in particular watch this video of Randy Pausch. Randy gave this talk in full knowledge he had only a few months to live. The video is about 80-minutes long. The entire video is incredibly worthwhile. Watching it will be a great investment in your education. At a minimum watch 15 minutes starting at time index 13.30.
- Do you ever think you are an impostor? Do you wonder whether UVA should have accepted you? Well we think UVA made the right decision. Watch this video to be sure. The video is about 20-minutes long. Watching it will be another great investment in your education, should help your test performance, and improve your job interviewing prowess.
- Grab the course software now
Read the course syllabus
- The syllabus specifies class mechanics and goals.
How many jelly beans?
- A four-pound jar of jelly beans will be given to the person with the best estimate on how many jelly beans are in this 390-milliliter jar.
My hero takes baby steps
- Course pedagogy and practices result from National Science Foundation (NSF) grant 0739254. That support is appreciated.
- Wear something orange to the first class for extra credit.
- © 2017 Jim Cohoon and the University of Virginia