Class 19 – February 28
Decisions made easy
I am positive — My favorite color is hue — Easy decision
Look both ways
- Some problem solving requires the ability to react — depending upon the circumstances different conditions need actions to be performed. Python provides the
ifstatement for decision making.
ifstatement uses logical test expressions to determine which action to perform.
- There are variants of the
ifstatement to make decisions based on one, two, or several possibilities.
Riddle me this — what classrooms are viable for scheduling CS 1112
- The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) has four-tiered classrooms: MEC 205, Olsson Hall 120, Rice 130, and Thornton E316. All four rooms provide WIFI access. Only MEC 205, Olsson Hall 120, and Rice 130 support classroom sizes greater than 100. MEC 205 and Olsson 120 do not provide student power ports.
- The registrar has rules about scheduling 75-minute classes. They can meet anytime on Tuesdays or Thursdays. On Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays they cannot be scheduled before 2:00 PM.
- Surveys indicate that on average, students preferred classes whose starting times do not occur before 10:00 AM or after 2:00 PM.
- Tiered seating allows for a better eye contact between an instructor and other members of the class. Better eye contact encourages student engagement.
- Jim Cohoon has several general teaching preferences.
- Maximize student access to his courses.
- Class sessions be 75-minutes.
- 1xxx and 2xxx level courses meet three times a week.
- 3xxx and 4xxx courses meet twice a week.
- Classrooms should provide student access to WIFI and to power ports.
- Maximize student engagement.
- `Program acid_test.py.
- Determine whether a pH Level is acidic.
- Determine what color my chrysanthemums will be based on soil acidity.
- Program daisy_daisy.py.
- Determine the type of a week day.
- Program robotomy.py.
- Determine what happens when a robot comes knocking on a door.
To do list
- Really examine the above and the artifacts