Class 1 — Wednesday, August 29
Be careful who you sit next to
A new semester – I am eager for its start – I hope they are too
Look both ways
- The back link will show the tasks you were to be concerned with prior to our first class. In the future, it will be a link related to the previous class meeting.
- The ahead link is the likely materials for the next class meeting
We are UVA
- Our University is built on the richness of our differences and recogizes that everyone is created equal and entitled to equal rights, dignity, and respect. We must repudiate all that violate these principles through hate and violence.
- Course personnel are deeply committed to our university principles, and seek to make our class welcoming and safe to all.
- It is an exciting time to be in computing. Class personnel look forward to introducing you to it so that you can help make the world a better place.
Questions of the day
- How do I qualify for an automatic A+?
- Why did we have to agree to the class pledge?
- Why the heck did we have to write a haiku?
- Who is Ms. Linear Algrebra 1974?
- When asked, download sample program print_quote.py
- Getting to know you and you knowing me
- Review syllabus
- Be aware of University preparation advice
- Reflect on the wisdom of the movie What about Bob?
- Test file submission
- Start computing major indoctrination
- Play with paper
- Fly a plane
- Create a brand-new language
- Discuss and understand ambiguity
- Complete Assignment 2
- Aspects: attention, relevance, confidence, satisfaction.
- Read Opinion