- Start Thunderbird for the first time and the Account wizard should appear.
Select "Email Account" and click on "Next"
- On the next page, fill in the "Your Name:" text box with the name you would
like to appear in the "From" filed of your outgoing messages. Then enter
in your CSDOM email address where appropriate.
- On the "Account Wizard" page make sure to select IMAP and set the Incoming
and Outgoing server to mail.cs.virginia.edu and select "Next".
- Now ensure that "Incoming User Name" is the same as your unix account userID and click "Next".
- Enter in an "Account Name" and then click on "Next".
Review your information and once you are sure it is correct, select "Finish".
Creating an IMAP account in Thunderbird:
There are a few more steps that we need to do:
- In the mail client go to "Tools" -"Account Settings"
Under the "Server Settings" option, choose "SSL" under the Security Settings
- Under "Outgoing Server (SMTP)", check "SSL" under the "Use Secure Connection"
- Click "Okay" and exit.>
Now select "Get Messages" to download your mail.
The first time you connect to the mail server you will see a warning message
saying "Website Certified by an Unknown Authority". This message is displayed
as the CS department certificate is self-signed, which is fine.
To make this message go away, select the "Accept this certificate permanently".
Information for users migrating from another email client to Thunderbird:
Mozilla.org's instructions on Migrating from Other Clients