CS200: Computer Science, Spring 2002
Notes: Wednesday 30 January 2002
- 1 February: Read SICP, 1.3
- 4 February: Problem Set 2
- Before 18 March: GEB all of Part I (Chapters 2-4 and 6-9, in addition to Chapters 1 and 5 already). There will be no more specific reading assignments from GEB until end of Spring Break. By March 18th, you will be expected to have read all of Part I (through page 272) of GEB. I recommend reading about a Chapter a week, but if you prefer to read it all over Spring Break that is fine too.
Why must begin be a special form?
How can we compare notations for describing languages?
What is the difference between RTN and BNF?
Music and Recursion
Challenge ProblemSong ::= Verse Verse Bridge Bridge Dadada (ends on C)
Verse Bridge Bridge Dadada
Verse Verse Better F Eb Bb F (Tonic)
Define a Scheme procedure that can produce the INT and Gplot graphs from GEB Chapter 5. Hint: you may need to think about curves differently from PS2. (A solution is worth 1 Problem Set.)
- Feynman's Van
- Review of QED
- The Story of Benoit B. Mandelbrot and the Geometry of Chaos
- Listen to Bach's Little Harmonic Labyrinth (MIDI file)
- GNU's Not Unix
University of Virginia
Department of Computer Science
CS 200: Computer Science
Using these Materials