CS200: Computer Science, Spring 2004
Notes: Friday 16 January 2004
- Monday, 19 January: No Class - Martin Luther King Day (see assignment below)
- Wednesday, 21 January: Problem Set 1
- Friday, 23 January: Read SICP, Section 1.2.
- Monday, 26 January: Read GEB, Little Harmonic Labyrinth and GEB, Chapter 5
- Monday, 2 February: Problem Set 2 (out Wednesday)
Problem Set 1 PartnersIf you submitted a registration survey, your partner for Problem Set 1 is below. For thie assignment only, I have attempted to match up teams of people with no or little previous computing experience with more experienced CS people. It is important as you work on PS1, that both members of a team understand each question.
Chelsea Coleman email@example.com
Evong Nham firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristina Hereford email@example.com
William Ingram firstname.lastname@example.org
Redcliff Chen email@example.com
Leah Nylen firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Hallissy email@example.com
Dan Nguyen firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonathan Carter email@example.com
Benjamin Walter firstname.lastname@example.org
Cristina Rabaglia email@example.com
Debora Wesner firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln Hamilton email@example.com
Lauren Walker firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Manning email@example.com
Nicole Numbers firstname.lastname@example.org
Raquel Johnathan email@example.com
Kathryn Morandi firstname.lastname@example.org
Preston Gisch email@example.com
Steven Jo firstname.lastname@example.org
Henry Cook email@example.com
Mee Hwang firstname.lastname@example.org
Seth Kendler email@example.com
Stephen Sojka firstname.lastname@example.org
Benjamin Justice email@example.com
Erika Vogel firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes and Questions
What is a formal system?
What is the difference between a formal system and a language?
Languages are made of:
When learning a foreign language, which of primitives, means of combination or means of abstraction is hardest to learn?
- Primitives (almost all languages have these) - the simplest surface forms with meaning
- Means of Combination (all languages have these) - rules of production (ways to make new surface forms from ones you already have)
- Means of Abstraction (all powerful languages have these) - ways to use simple surface forms to represent complicated ones
Who was Admiral Grace Hopper and what did she do?
Compiler: A program that translates between two languages, usually from a high-level programming language to machine code.
What is the difference between a compiler and an interpreter?
Why did John Backus want a precise way of describing languages?
- ENIAC Story (like most ENIAC histories, it is wrong about ENIAC being the "world's first electronic digital computer" we'll learn why before PS4)
- ENIAC Programmer's Manual [Unfortunately, this site appears to have been removed]
- USS Hopper
- Remembering Grace Murray Hopper: A Legend in Her Own Time, by Elizabeth Dickason.
- John Backus biography
Frankly, we didn't have the vaguest idea how the things would work out in detail... We struck out simply to optimze the object program, the running time, because most people at that time believed you really couldn't do that kind of thing.
John Backus (on FORTRAN language and compiler, quoted in 1966)
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - nothing more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master that's all."
Through the Looking Glass — Chapter VI: Humpty Dumpty, Lewis Carroll
Notes: Monday 19 January 2004
In observance of Martin Luther King Day, there is no class on Monday, 19 January (note this is not an official student holiday for UVa, so you should not assume your other classes are canceled). This is not meant to be a "day off" for you, but rather an opportunity for you to use the time you would normally have been in class learning something about Dr. King's visit to the University and UVa's civil rights history.
One way to do this is to follow the links below:
- Desegregation at UVa (including President Darden's letter)
- UVa's official short history
- Honor to the Class of '69 by Paul Gaston (describes Dr. King's March 1963 visit to UVa, four months before his "I Have a Dream" oration)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Papers Project at Stanford University
How many schools at UVa are named for commited segregationists? (And why are there no efforts to change their name?)
Did President Casteen handle the Pep Band incident more like President Shannon or President Darden would have?
Thirty years from now, will someone have cause to write a Honor to the Class of 2004-2008 essay? What should it be about?
Using these Materials