CS588: Cryptology - Principles and Applications, Fall 2001
Manifest: Wednesday 29 August 2001
Assignments Due Friday, 31 August (noon) Problem Set 0 (Registration Survey) Monday, 10 September Problem Set 1
Mailing ListsStudents in CS588 should subscribe to these mailing lists:
- RISKS - can be read as web, or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject SUBSCRIBE.
- Crypto-gram Newsletter (monthly); to subscribe send a blank message to email@example.com or use the form at http://www.counterpane.com/unsubform.html.
Read before 3 September:
- Richard Feynman. Safecracker Meets Safecracker. From "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character", Richard P. Feynman (Ralph Leighton), Norton 1985.
- Making Breaking Codes, Chapters 1-3.
- The Code Book, Chapter 1. (Recommended)
XBW HGQW XS ACFPSUWG FWPGWXF CF AWWKZV CDQGJCDWA CD BHYJD DJXHGW; WUWD XBW ZWJFX PHGCSHF YCDA CF GSHFWA LV XBW KGSYCFW SI FBJGCDQ RDSOZWAQW OCXBBWZA IGSY SXBWGF.
There is a remarkably close parallel between the problems of the physicist and those of the cryptographer. The system on which a message is enciphered corresponds to the laws of the universe, the intercepted messages to the evidence available, the keys for a day or a message to important constants which have yet to be determined. The correspondence is very close, but the subject matter of cryptography is very easily dealt with by discrete machinery, physics not so easily.
- Why is computer security important?
- Terms: cryptology, cryptography, cryptanalysis, steganography, encryption, decryption, plaintext, ciphertext
- What is the reasoning behind Kerchoff's principle?
- What is the difference between symmetric and asymmetric cryptosystems?
- What is a monoalphabetic cipher? How can one break a monoalphabetic cipher?
- What are the different types of attacks (and their relative power) on a cryptosystem?
- What is a one-time pad? How secure is a one-time pad?
University of Virginia
Department of Computer Science
CS 588: Cryptology - Principles and Applications