CS588: Cryptology - Principles and Applications, Fall 2001
Manifest: Monday 3 September 2001
Assignments Due Monday, 10 September Problem Set 1
Read before 5 September:
- Making Breaking Codes, Chapter 4.
- The Code Book, Chapter 2-4. (Recommended)
- Claude Shannon, Theory of Secrecy Systems Part 1, Part 2. Bell System Technical Journal, October 1949.
- Claude Shannon: Reluctant Father of the Digital Age, Technology Review, July 2001.
Information theory has perhaps ballooned to an importance beyond its actual accomplishments.
- How do you convince someone a cipher is secure?
- What are entropy, rate, redundancy, and unicity?
- How important is redundancy in cryptology?
- What is a "perfect cipher"?
- How to prove a cipher is perfect.
- How to prove a cipher is imperfect.
University of Virginia
Department of Computer Science
CS 588: Cryptology - Principles and Applications