Associate Professor, Computer Science,
Systems & Information Engineering and
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department of Computer Science
School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Virginia
85 Engineer's Way, P.O. Box 400740
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4740
Areas Of Interest
Cloud computing and datacenters, Big data, Cyber-physical systems, Distributed systems, Mobile computing, High performance computing, and Social networks.
Haiying Shen received her BS degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Tongji University, China in 2000, and her MS and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Engineering from Wayne State University in 2004 and 2006, respectively. She was a faculty member in the Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering at University of Arkansas from 2006 to 2009, and was a faculty member in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Clemson University from 2009 to 2016. She joined the University of Virginia Department as an Associate Professor in 2016. She was a recipient of the TCSC Mid-career Award 2015, IBM Faculty Award 2015, NSF CAREER Award 2013, Sigma Xi Clemson Chapter Young Investigator of the Year Award 2013, Microsoft Faculty Fellowship Award 2010, Award for Faculty Excellence of Clemson University 2010, and Undergraduate Mentor Thesis Award of University of Arkansas in 2009. She is a subject area editor for the Scalable Computing Journal, and an associate editor for the International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributes Systems (IJPEDS) and for the Journal of Information Science and Engineering. She is also a program committee member of many leading conferences, and the former program co-chair for a number of international conferences.
Shen's research interests include Cloud computing and datacenters, Big data, Cyber-physical systems, Distributed systems, Mobile computing, High performance computing, and Social networks. She has made substantial contributions to her field with over 200 publications in prestigious conferences and journals such as IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed System (TPDS), IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC), IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), ACM Multimedia, and IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM).
- L. Chen, H. Shen and K. Sapra, Distributed Autonomous Virtual Resource Management in Datacenters Using Finite-Markov Decision Process, Proc. of ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), November 3-5, 2014, Seattle, WA, 2014
- G. Liu and H. Shen, An Economical and SLO-Guaranteed Cloud Storage Service across Multiple Cloud Service Providers, Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), April 10th-15th, 2016, San Francisco, CA, USA
- C. Qiu, H. Shen and L. Chen, Probabilistic Demand Allocation for Cloud Service Brokerage, Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), April 10th-15th, 2016, San Francisco, CA, USA
- K. Chen and H. Shen, Fine-grained Encountering Information Collection under Neighbor Anonymity in Mobile Opportunistic Social Networks, Proc. of the 23rd IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), November 10-13 2015, San Francisco, CA
- L. Yan, H. Shen and K. Chen, TSearch: Target-Oriented Low-Delay Node Searching in DTNs with Social Network Properties, Proc. of the 34rd Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM'15), April 26th - May 1st, 2015, Hong Kong
- Y. Lin, H. Shen and L. Chen, EcoFlow: An Economical and Deadline-Driven Inter-Datacenter Video Flow Scheduling System, short paper, Proc. of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia, Oct. 26th - 30th, 2015, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- H. Shen, Z. Li, H. Wang and J. Li, Leveraging Social Network Concepts for Efficient Peer-to-Peer Live Streaming Systems, Proc. of ACM Multimedia, Nara, Japan, October 29-Nov. 2, 2012