Adding a network printer
Setting Up CS Network Printers on Mac Hosts
CS Mac hosts can print through either the Windows print server or the Linux (CUPS) print server.
1. Open System Preferences then select Printers & Scanners
2. Under the Printers list, click the '+' to open the add printers interface
3. If the Advanced button is not in the toolbar then right click the toolbar, click the Customize Toolbar option, then drag the Advanced button onto the toolbar.
To use the Windows print server use the following two steps:
4. Click the Advanced button, for Type select 'Windows' or 'Windows printer via spoolss', for Device select Another Device
5. In the URL field enter "smb://kore.cs.virginia.edu/" and the name of the printer you are installing (see table below)
Continue to step 6 below
To use the Linux CUPS print server use the following steps:
4. Click the Advanced button, for Type select 'Internet Printing Protocol', for Device select Another Device
5. In the URL field enter "ipp://cups.cs.virginia.edu:631/printers/" and the name of the printer you are installing, i.e. "ipp://cups.cs.virginia.edu:631/printers/CS-BW1" (see table below)
continuing with step 6
6. Change the name field to name the printer you are installing in an identifiable way (e.g. 'CS-BW1', 'CS-BW1 via CUPS' or 'CS-BW1 from kore')
7. Under 'Print Using' select 'Select a driver to use' - you will likely need to download the driver software for your machine from the manufacturer if it is not already loaded.
Note on HP driver acquisition: Support for older HP printers under newer versions of OS X (10.9 and above) is not well documented by HP. However, as of 11/29/2016, Apple has a collection of HP drivers at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888 (574MB, dated August 30, 2016) that installs support for a large number of devices, including our older HP printers. It is also possible to use the built-in generic PostScript driver but not all of the installed options will be available.
8. Select the appropriate driver for the model printer you are installing (see table below for the most common model information)
9. Click the Add button and, when the Installable Options dialog opens up, select the appropriate ones (refer again to the table below) and click Continue
10. A dialog will open the first time you print. Enter your user name, in the format 'csdom\mst3k', and password. If desired click the 'Remember this password in my keychain' option (using the keychain option will prevent having to enter the username and password for each print job.)
Windows Printers Table Windows CUPS Model Location Installable options available name name CS-BW1 same HP LaserJet 9050dn Rice 525 Tray 1, Tray 4, Duplex Unit CS-BW2 same HP LaserJet 9050dn Rice 429 Tray 1, Tray 4, Duplex Unit CS-COLOR1 color-laser1 HP Color Laserjet CP5220 Series Rice 525 Duplex Unit CS-COLOR2 color-laser2 HP Color Laserjet CP5220 Series Rice 429 Duplex Unit CS-Copier7502 same Ricoh Aficio MP 7502 Rice 525 Large Capacity tray, Finisher: SR4080, Multi-hole Punch Unit